The following material is specific to ICBC Personal Injury Law, and is not intended as an alternative to seeking independent legal advice.

If you have been involved in an accident, there are numerous considerations from the start.

1. NO STATEMENT TO ICBC: If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, it should be reported to ICBC. “REPORT” the accident, but DO NOT make a “STATEMENT,” without consulting a personal injury lawyer. The number for Dial-A-Claim is 604.520.8222, to obtain your claim number.

2. VISIT YOUR PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR: Your doctor should perform an examination and may refer to you to additional medical visits, which may include physiotherapist, specialist or chiropractor.

3. CONTACT YOUR PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER: Preserve your rights and contact a personal injury lawyer immediately. Your claim can be severely impacted by any forms of communication between you and ICBC. If you have been involved in an accident, tell your lawyer whether ICBC is involved. Your personal injury lawyer will assist you in drafting statements and assembling the proper documentation for your claim.